Tuesday 27 September 2016

Filament testing - The 3DPrinter filament

Recently Dion from The 3DPrinter was kind enough to send me some filament to check out. This is the store where I also got my copy of Simplify3d possibly the best slicer out there.


Click on picture to enlarge

The rolls are vacuum packed as you'd expect and the filament comes on a clear spool. Accompanying the boxes of filament was a resealable plastic bag to keep the opened rolls of filament. A great idea. 

Click on picture to enlarge

Obviously The 3DPrinter is has its head around what the consumer really needs and you can colour me impressed.

Click on picture to enlarge

Click on picture to enlarge

I'm not sure how well you can make out my clear box I keep my filament in but just off to the left is the lid and inside is every bag of silica I've ever got lol. As a guitar and ukulele player I've got at least 4 humidity sensors I keep in the cases of my instruments. Ideally a humidity of around 45% is good for acoustics and on average in my place it sits around 50-60%. I'm writing this to remind me to throw one of the humidity sensors in this box. :-)

Click on picture to enlarge

I'm putting the rolls through my temp tower test. The first one I'm testing is a roll of petg and the recommended temperature range on the box is 220-250.

Settings and information for these tower tests can be found here:
http://lukethier.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/temperature-testing-filament.html


Click on picture to enlarge

On my printer the older brother to this one, with a few modifications like Titan extruder and v6 hotend from E3d and pei bed along with a resigned Z Motor mount and its opposite which allows me to tighten the drive belt without the hassle of the original system.

The reason I gave you this information is because while your results could be similar, your circumstances, your knowledge and 3d printer could be wildly different as well.

Click on picture to enlarge

The rough looking areas are where the temperatures are very high as they go from 260 down to 215 degrees.

Click on picture to enlarge

Using my magnifying light to highlight the print so if it looks a little warped then its just the lens

Click on picture to enlarge

Side by side with Blueprinted's petg a filament I really like and the The 3DPrinter comes out just in front its very close though and prints beautifully at the same temperature of 225 degrees on my machine.

Click on picture to enlarge

The print range for me and my machine is probably best at between 230 - 215, and at 225 it is bound to bond between layers better and look the nicest. Add to that the fact that I've already got a lot of settings saved for this temperature is purely coincidental lol

Click on picture to enlarge

Oooooh Shiny! 

Click on picture to enlarge

Click on picture to enlarge

Click on picture to enlarge

Click on picture to enlarge

I have my my extrusion multiplier set to 0.9 my extruder width set to 0.35 and am getting good wall thicknesses at around 0.43/0.42

Click on picture to enlarge


Click on picture to enlarge


So.....to say I'm both impressed and extremely happy with The 3DPrinter would be an understatement, and highly recommend their petg.

I'm still testing the white pla but it's looking really nice so far, so more to come as I get results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28/09/2016

Ok the white pla from The 3DPrinter has a print range of 190 to 220 suggested on the box and from my initial tests looks like it doesn't mind this wide range of temps at all.

The white printed quite nicely and while its hard to judge with just this temp tower test, it looks like 205c is its happy place on my system.


The colour difference in these photos is down to one (on the left) being just one extrusion thickness wide so about 0.4 to 0.46 depending on where you measure it. So naturally is allowing light to pass through giving it its bright translucent appearance. Taking the photo on my laptop with the screen as a back light is also playing a big role.


Just like the petg I'm very happy with this filament. It prints well and lays down layers just like the petg. I'll have a better idea of the ideal temperature after I do some real printing on something closer to a normal print run. 

The only problem I'm having at all, is with my printer as its still giving me some z banding and for the life of me I can nail down the culprit. It not a big problem really it's probably just the ocd side of me :-) and white tends to show it more than other colours.














No comments:

Post a Comment