Friday 19 December 2014

Guitar / Ukulele Builds

Due to a genetic disease in my hand called Dupuytren's contracture I can no longer play my guitar like I used to, but some time ago a set of circumstances had me messing around with a Ukulele and I found the small size made it easier to play.

It wasn't that hard to flip the uke over and swap the strings for a lefty, I didn't have to cut a new nut or worry about bridge compensation...................but if you want a cut out to reach frets higher up on the fretboard or electronics you are completely stuffed.

When you live in a right handed world you become very handy at modifying pretty much everything you need to for your own use. Guitars are no exception and have been modifying them for many years.

Recently I decided to get serious about becoming a Luthier and start making my own left handed instruments, in particular acoustic Ukuleles with cut outs and amplification. 

So this has presented some real problems to someone who lives in a unit or flat (on the ground floor at least) tools, larger machinery, noise, dust, and a kitchen that now doubles as a workshop :-P

There is a very small workshop in the grounds where I live but a loss of keys one day has thrown a spanner into the works and as the flat is a government flat organising a new key has been problematic to say the least. I am working on it, but it is the A.C.T. Government after all.

I've been especially inspired by several people and organisations


For information on where I got the electronics and how I fitted the electronics on this click these links

Becketts Music Ltd
56 Commercial Road, Southampton
Hampshire, S015 1GD
Tel: +44 (0)23 8022 4827
Fax: +44 (0)23 8032 2046
http://www.beckettsmusic.co.uk

Email: sales@beckettsmusic.co.uk



This is a different brand and style of pick up system that includes a tuner that I was hoping would magically replace the other one already installed in my Tenor but alas the holes are but mm off. I offered to fit it to an acquaintance's ukulele but haven't got a reply yet, so I might just fit it to my Soprano or Baritone uke.
As you can see the prices are good but you get what you pay for, so caveat emptor, you can find the exact same things for a lot more so don't be fooled lots of research means less tears. If your ears are so perfectly tuned to perfect pitch or you are filthy rich then you can see if Fishman will sell you something for your elitist sensibilities lol


Here's the electronics I fitted to my Lanikai Tenor

No comments:

Post a Comment